Welcome to Good Grow:
Hey there, I am Chelsey, founder of Good Grow.
Keeping your lawn in tip top shape is much easier than you think.
Don't be overwhelmed by all the different advice you read.
Here, at Good Grow my team and I breakdown the all complex lawn care advice and information out there and give you the stuff that actually works!
This beginners guide is the perfect place to start for anyone looking to take care of their lawn and make it the envy of all your neighbours.
Lawn Care Articles
In short Good Grow is for those who want to :
- Get Rid of Lawn Weeds or Moss
- Grow and Entirely New Lawn
- Fix a Patchy Lawn whether by Dog Urine or Old Age
Why are we different?
Gardening advice is a crowded market these days. There is so much information (and misinformation) out there. We go the extra mile to give you the best chance at achieving your garden goals.
- Make it easy: We breakdown all the complicated science and explain it in an easy to understand way that anyone can follow. You don't need to be a horticulturalist to follow us.
- Give advice for real people: All of our advice is geared towards real people. We understand people lead busy lives, have kids, jobs & responsibilities. We make our advice fit your busy schedule.
- Use a step by step approach: Most of our advice is presented in a start to finish approach. Guiding you through each step of the process makes achieving your garden goals easier.
- Give an unbiased review: Many experts avoid criticizing certain advertisers or companies. We strive to give you impartial, unbiased advice so you can make informed decisions.
- Focus on what actually works: Our advice focuses on the easiest methods to achieve your goals. Spending lots of money on expensive products that over promise is out of the question.
How to use the site?
Community members also get first look access to some of our exclusive content. Join our growing community of over 10,000 gardening enthusiasts from across the globe.
To get started here are some of our best articles that will help you get started on your journey.
5 Steps for a Beautiful Lawn
Step #1 : Fix bare patches when they show
Bald patches are an open invitation for weeds to invade your lawn. Once they colonise your grass it is much harder to get rid of them. Got a bald spot? Get some fast growing grass seed and repair it ASAP.
Step #2 : Get ready to fertilise
The number one mistake I see people across the UK make is that they forget to fertilise their lawn. Like all plants grass needs nourishment. Fertilise once in the Spring and again in the Autumn.
If your creating an entirely new lawn please ensure the soil has as much nutrients as possible.
Step #3 : Moss can quickly invade but solve the problems
Eliminating moss from your lawn is simple. There are many available treatments including Iron Sulphate that work really well, however treatment is temporary. If you don't solve the underlying problems, it will come back, over and over again!
Step #4 : Mow often & not short!
Your grass is a living, breathing organism. So many people cut their lawns too short. The process of mowing your lawn actually damage the grass - it takes time for it to recover. Not only that, grass absorbs sunlight through the green blades, if they are short it doesn't get enough sunlight.
Short grass is an invitation for weeds to infest your lawn, try to take no more than 20% off the top of your lawn at each cut and mow it more regularly during Spring, Summer & Autumn.
Step #5 : You don't need to water lawns in the UK
Unless we are in the middle of a long heatwave. In a typical British year there is absolutely no need to water your lawn, in extreme heat (unlikely) it may turn a little yellow but when the rain returns so will your grass.
The only exception to this is if your trying to grow a new lawn from seed or adding seeds to your existing lawn. Grass seeds won't germinate if there is no moisture, keep the seeds moist for 2 weeks.